The S.F. Planning Department in collaboration with the Municipal Transportation Agency and the Department of Public Works are leading this effort. The project area includes the length of Castro Street from Market to the south side of 19th Street. In broad terms, the scope, includes, but is not limited to:
- Widening the sidewalks on the 400 and 500 blocks of Castro Street up to an additional 10 feet in width for a total of up to 22 feet of sidewalk space.
- Pedestrian safety improvements at the intersections of Market and Castro, 18th and Castro and 19th and Castro.
- Streetscape enhancements possibly including lighting, street trees, bike racks, street furniture.
- Special sidewalk/crosswalk paving.
- Landscaping and pocket parks.